The process of buying a vehicle can feel like an arduous one, even when you know what kind of vehicle or even what make and model you’re looking to purchase. But most people don’t realize there are specific questions they can ask to help unlock the best buying potential on their next pre-owned vehicle before they head to a dealership, while they are there and even after they’ve left. Here’s your chance to know what questions to ask before buying a used vehicle!
Before you head to the dealership
- What can I afford? ~ Having a budget in mind that you can afford to spend either in monthly payments or in total cost for the vehicle will help narrow down what your options are and save you from getting your heart set on a vehicle that you can’t afford. Keep in mind that tax, title and registration fees will be in addition to the cost of the purchase price.
- What kind of vehicle do I need? ~ Before you can begin your search, you’ll need to decide what type of vehicle works best for your needs and your budget. Considering what you’ll be using your vehicle for most (long commutes, towing heavy items, hauling people or family) will help you evaluate if a car, truck, SUV, minivan, commercial vehicle or a work truck fits that best.
- What safety features or extra options are needed? ~ Decide if there are specific options you are hoping to find in a prospective vehicle or safety options you feel are necessary.
- Is the car on the lot? ~ Oftentimes, dealerships have more than one location that a vehicle may be at or the vehicle may have already been sold. It’s always a good idea to call ahead to make sure the vehicle you are interested in is actually there on the premises before making the drive.
While you are at the dealership
- Where did the vehicle come from? ~ A vehicle on a dealer’s lot could be a trade in but it could also be from an auction or even out of state. Knowing more about how the dealer acquired it, could possibly lead to learning more about its maintenance or service history.
- Is there a history report for the vehicle (Carfax, AutoCheck, etc)? Vehicle history reports can’t tell you everything and there might be errors on the report, it is a good starting point to learn more about if the vehicle was ever in an accident and how many owners it has had.
- Do you offer financing and if so, is there a markup on the interest rate you offer? While Broadmoor Motors does not ever mark up interest rates on loans, it is a common practice at many dealerships and can end up costing you hundreds of dollars unnecessarily. Don’t find out the hard way you could have a lower interest rate by simply asking to see all of the lending terms before signing on the dotted line.
- Do you take trade-ins? Not all dealerships take trade-ins and some others will offer you a guaranteed amount for your trade-in regardless of its condition but that amount ends up impacting the purchase price of your vehicle.
- Is there a warranty available? A warranty is a big reason why people often choose a new vehicle over a used vehicle but if you could get a great pre-owned vehicle with a warranty, wouldn’t that be great? At Broadmoor Motors, we think your hard earned dollars deserve a warranty and that’s why our vehicles come backed by one.
After you visit the dealership
- If there is no warranty, can I afford any repairs that come along if needed? ~Unexpected repairs cost you both time and money, a warranty can help alleviate at least the question of who will be paying for the cost of repairs and a dealership that’s willing to stand behind their vehicle with a warranty means that they are committed to fixing any issues that may arise.
- Can you afford the vehicle, including tax, registration, and insurance? ~ Don’t let the sticker price fool you, there are added costs involved with buying a vehicle regardless if it’s new or used.
- What do previous customers say about the dealership after they’ve purchased a vehicle from them? ~ You can tell a lot about a business from the reviews of people who have dealt with them in the past. While every business can inevitably get a bad review online, ones that consistently have low ones or people commenting with the same complaints are something to avoid.
If you find yourself searching for your next used SUV, minivan, truck or car to fit your needs and your budget, we invite you to check out all of our theft recovered inventory or all of our current inventory of Used Trucks, Vans, SUVs and Cars. At Broadmoor Motors, we specialize in finding the right used minivan, truck, SUV or car to fit your personal or business needs, all while giving you the best deal we can on both your purchase and trade-in. Our family has been in the car business for over 60 years and continues to be family owned and operated in all of our Caledonia, Hastings and Wayland locations with financing available to those who qualify. We will find you the right vehicle to fit both your budget and your needs in a pressure-free environment.
Let Broadmoor Motors save you time and money when buying your next quality, Pre-Owned Car, Family Minivan, All Wheel Drive SUV, Commercial Van or Work Truck and ask us about our BMG Protection Plan (which is not an aftermarket product). Whether you need to replace your current car, minivan, truck or SUV with a great used vehicle, we can help you out. Check out our reviews online and buy with confidence!! Family Owned & Operated and with Financing Available, we stand behind our Vehicles and our Warranty so you can be assured your used Car, Truck, Van or SUV will be reliable! Broadmoor Motors is your local choice for Car Sales in the greater Hastings, Middleville, Caledonia, Grand Rapids, Wayland, Byron Center, Dorr, Hopkins, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Lansing, Lake Odesa, Kentwood, Holland, Zeeland, Moline, Cutlerville, Wyoming, Hudsonville, Grandville, Jenison, Hamilton, Ionia and Allegan. Whether you need to replace your current car, minivan, truck or SUV with a great used vehicle, we can help you out.
Broadmoor Motors is here for all your Car Sales, and Auto Service needs in the Byron Center, Kentwood, Caledonia, Middleville, Hastings, greater Grand Rapids, Wayland, and Barry County area. With four locations to serve you in Middleville, Wayland, Hastings, and Caledonia, we’re here for all your Sales & Service needs. Give us a call at 616.698.9595 in Caledonia, 269.397.2400 in Wayland, 269.205.2613 in Middleville or 269.320.6304 in Hastings to see how we can get you back on the road!